The Science behind Weighted Blanket Benefits
Weighted blankets have been used in the scientific health and occupational therapy space for over a decade. Studies published in peer-reviewed journals date back to 2008 from a wide range of researchers: neuroscience, bio-engineering, physiology, behavioral health and occupational therapy. The findings are very promising and speak to the efficacy of a weighted blanket.
The basic premise behind weighted blankets is the power of Deep Pressure Touch Stimulation. “Deep pressure touch helps the body relax. Like a firm hug, weighted blankets help us feel secure, grounded and safe*.” Besides feeling comforted and relaxed, the following benefits have been scientifically shown in most studies done with weighted blankets:
- Naturally increase levels of relaxation with Serotonin and Melatonin release
- Help reduce stress and anxiety levels by lowering Cortisol levels
- Minimize fidgeting, anxiousness and other ADHD effects
- Sleep longer and better with a “warm hug” feeling
- Reduce symptoms of other sensory and sleep disorders including Insomnia, Anxiety,
- Panic attacks, Autism, Restless leg syndrome and others.
*(Psychology Today) Link: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/minding-the-body/201112/choosing-blanket-help-you-sleep